Total Racing Europe

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Forza Horizon

EighteeN O FivE
    EighteeN O FivE

Forza Horizon Empty Forza Horizon

Post by EighteeN O FivE Fri 31 Aug 2012, 2:33 am

It looks like the previews for Forza Horizon got released today, so I thought I'd post a write up from some one that I know play's Car games & Forza 4...

Forza Horizon preview
    by Garnett Lee, Aug 30, 2012

Despite a now decade long history spanning four consecutive games, the creative team behind the Forza series never set out to make driving sims, at least not according to its creative director, Dan Greenwalt. I'll take him at his word because I get the point he wants to make with such a dramatic statement. The motivation that drove their work came from passion for cars. Simulation racers just happened to be the natural outlet for that energy in the videogame world when they sat down to do it. With Forza Horizon the team hopes to find a different expression that triggers a more emotional response. As he says, "a Ferrari pulls up next to you at a light and you're going to have a reaction." It's that same sort of thing Forza Horizon hopes to inspire.

Setting such lofty goals aside for a moment, Forza Horizon follows a standard setup for an open world racing game. Shake a roster of fun to drive cars out on a map of twisty roads and let nature take its course. In this case, the driving shenanigans take place across a scaled down representation of Colorado, which offers a nice variety of open freeways for top speed runs and two-lane mountain highways that look like spaghetti on the map. To tie it all together, the game taps into the music festival scene that's become popular over the past few years to create a fictitious mashup of bands, girls in bikini tops, glow sticks, and cars it calls the Horizon Festival.

As Greenwalt suggested, I was starting to get a reaction to the game by the time I'd gotten through the opening movie and prelude drive. But I tried to hold my judgment because, much like that Ferrari at the light, it's more about the person driving it than just the car. Once the glitz died down a little, I was left to start my career off in a Volkswagen Corrado. I know, a what? This little-known sportshatch went unnoticed in the US but don't be fooled. It's a fantastic marriage of performance and drivability on a front wheel platform that makes it a solid first car.

I appreciated the chance to get my driving senses about me in the Corrado because though the format of Horizon seems to promise a more casual approach, its Forza 4 tech under the surface maintains a believable experience. I say believable because it definitely eases up some on the strict physics of Forza games. That's partly due to the default assist setting, which I left in place because for this game they felt right. I also found after playing with the different views that I preferred the chase camera to the cockpit view. That sealed it for me, putting Horizon firmly in the blast around without a care category.

I'm right on target then as far Greenwalt is concerned. He says that it's all about motivation. This is not a game about shaving tenths of second off lap times at Nurburgring. It's about having fun and to that end uses a points system like other similar games have to award credit for stylish driving. In Horizon they're called "Popularity Points" and play into the story of building up a reputation to ultimately being the most renowned driver at the festival. In practice, I found it pretty easy to rack them up. Drift around a corner, brush close weaving through traffic, and the usual sort of hoonage got my score adding up.

Familiar as it all felt, I found myself enjoying it more than simply just another nice drive. The clincher comes from the balance I pretty quickly struck of holding whatever I was driving right at that just about out of control but not quite point. The amount of float going through a corner in a drift felt nicely dialed in and I could maintain control with the accelerator. From what I drove it also scaled up to higher speeds well. If anything, it got better the faster I went. I traded in everything I'd earned--a Boss Mustang and an Evo X--to grab a Lotus Evora and it was worth every penny. Blasting down the freeway, hitting an offramp, feathering off the gas, giving the e-brake just a tap, and then flicking the stick to slide into a drift I held with the gas all the way through--that's it right there.

Release Date: TBA Fall 2012

http://www.shacknews.com/article/75527/forza-horizon-preview

Forza Horizon Empty Re: Forza Horizon

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 2:57 am

Here is an ingame-video (German website but English video Laughing ):

http://www.forzalife.de/2012/08/forza-horizon-gamespot-mit-gameplay-video/

and here's a picture gallery:

http://www.forzalife.de/screenshot/forza-horizon-screenshots/

Last edited by bluesky0870 on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mr Antt
    Mr Antt
    Admin

Post by Mr Antt Fri 31 Aug 2012, 2:58 am

Thank you for sharing Smile

Whilst I am interested in Forza Horizon, it will be the only Forza game I won't acquire on release date. It's looking good, I must admit. But I'm a track guy, and I'm a sucker for realism. What I've seen of Horizon so far looks nice, but I'm just not excited for it like I was Forza 4. I'll hang on until the new year when it's on sale I think Razz
    EighteeN O FivE
    EighteeN O FivE

Post by EighteeN O FivE Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:26 am

I'm interested in Forza Horizon, but my pile of shame is already quite big!
    Mr Antt
    Mr Antt
    Admin

Post by Mr Antt Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:33 am

You'll have to explain that one...

Why the shame? Razz
    jim1
    jim1

Post by jim1 Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:50 am

I have a £20 amazon voucher burning a hole in my pocket, so I think Im going to get Horizon when it comes out. The videos look good and it will make a change from circuit racing. Think I'll still play Forza 4 as well though
    kirschned
    kirschned

Post by kirschned Fri 31 Aug 2012, 10:23 pm

im still not sure i will get Horizon. the open world part could be fun for a short while. if you will get a lot of aftermarket parts for the cars it would get a lot more interesting.

does anybody know how many cars will be in the game and will it have Porsche straight away?

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 12:40 am

200 cars, no Porsche...
    SOULREND KNIGHT
    SOULREND KNIGHT

Post by SOULREND KNIGHT Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:45 am

Mr Antt wrote:Thank you for sharing Smile

Whilst I am interested in Forza Horizon, it will be the only Forza game I won't acquire on release date. It's looking good, I must admit. But I'm a track guy, and I'm a sucker for realism. What I've seen of Horizon so far looks nice, but I'm just not excited for it like I was Forza 4. I'll hang on until the new year when it's on sale I think Razz

My exact thoughts to. Also I would trade it for more Forza4 circuits.
    Mr Antt
    Mr Antt
    Admin

Post by Mr Antt Sat 01 Sep 2012, 3:49 am

Don't get me wrong, turn 10 do an amazing job with the Forza Motorsport series. But we have in excess of 500 cars in the fourth installments, but so limited on tracks. They even took tracks out that we're in the previous games.

Granted tracks are harder to model than cars, but I'm losing interest in Forza full stop because it's far too repetitive.

So, Horizon will be a welcomed change, but I'd still take some track DLC over it.
    EighteeN O FivE
    EighteeN O FivE

Post by EighteeN O FivE Sat 08 Sep 2012, 2:48 am

Forza Horizon -- Behind the Scenes Episode 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y_V86ohpMJo

Wink
    Mr Antt
    Mr Antt
    Admin

Post by Mr Antt Sat 08 Sep 2012, 2:58 am

I must admit, that does look pretty damn good.
    jim1
    jim1

Post by jim1 Sat 08 Sep 2012, 3:09 am

Yep, that confirms it. Im definately going to get it the day it comes out Very Happy
    EighteeN O FivE
    EighteeN O FivE

Post by EighteeN O FivE Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:37 pm

Forza Horizon -- Behind the Scenes Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBevYCMEAKs&list=UUydtMNspoPAlqBjFSGnigSw&index=1&feature=plcp

The more I see - The more I Like!!!

Post by Guest Wed 26 Sep 2012, 10:28 pm

The more I see, hear and read I WON'T buy the game.

Today they announced the season pass for 4000!!! MSPs (you save 17% for all following contents) which includes:

- 6 "normal" DLCs
    - launch day car pack DLC
    - 5 bonus cars only for season pass owners
    - and the biggest impertinence, an expansion pack which will be released on December, 18th. Content unknown, but I could bet it will include the missing Porsches and some new game modes or an expansion of the map.

In my eyes they either could not get ready until release day and will hand out the missing content as an expansion pack or they know by now that they can make a lot of money with the Porsches and the repetitive telling about license problems with EA is a lie or an agreement between MS, T10 and EA to make some money.

If you can count a little bit the whole DLC is worth 4700 MSPs without the season pass, let's say a single "normal DLC" will still cost 560 MSP + the relaunch pack worth the same = 7* 560 = 3920 MSP. So there are nearly 800 MSP left for the expansion pack. 30 Porsches = 1600 MSP in Forza 4, 800 MSP = 15 Porsche (or 5 Porsche + other content) in Forza Horizon.

Do you smell what T10/MS is cooking?
    EighteeN O FivE
    EighteeN O FivE

Post by EighteeN O FivE Thu 27 Sep 2012, 5:43 am

Thats why I never buy DLC & rarely buy Special Editions of games.
    EighteeN O FivE
    EighteeN O FivE

Post by EighteeN O FivE Sat 29 Sep 2012, 3:55 am

Eurogamer Expo 2012: Forza Horizon 40 min Presentation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6UovWaK4GM&feature=plcp

Ralph Fulton from Playground Games talks Forza Horizon at the Eurogamer Expo 2012 Developer Sessions.

Looking Good!
    EighteeN O FivE
    EighteeN O FivE

Post by EighteeN O FivE Tue 02 Oct 2012, 5:35 am

The Forza Horizon demo is coming to Xbox LIVE on Oct. 9!

Check out the Horizon launch trailer here: https://youtu.be/18SiLyFbcZw

EighteeN O FivE
    EighteeN O FivE

Post by EighteeN O FivE Wed 10 Oct 2012, 2:30 am

Played the demo to day & this looks like its going to be another great Forza game. Love the day / night cycle too & a great sound track!

The only gripe I have so far is no right stick throttle / brake option...
    Mr Antt
    Mr Antt
    Admin

Post by Mr Antt Wed 10 Oct 2012, 5:08 am

I shall get the demo later, be there a time limit or anything like that?
    SOULREND KNIGHT
    SOULREND KNIGHT

Post by SOULREND KNIGHT Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:17 am

Played the demo this evening knocked off all the assists lines etc it felt ok, the engine was a bit quiet, I'd had enough after half an hour it just didn't grab me, I just wanted to get back to the circuit on forza 4, it might grow on me, I will probably pick it up when its really cheap.
    The one thing I did like over F4 was the AI difficulty level, the hard and insane where both a good challenge.

jim1
    jim1

Post by jim1 Wed 10 Oct 2012, 4:31 pm

I changed my mind about the game after playing the demo.

Like Soul said, I had enough after 20 mins or so. The cars seemed a little floaty to drive. It felt like racing was in GTA IV. The graphic were decent, but the frame rate seemed to struggle a bit in parts.

Think I'll wait for the game to be cheaper next year and get it then. If I want a racing game, I'll stick to Forza 4 for now

Post by Guest Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:11 pm

I've tested the demo too and I am bifid about it. It is fun to drive open roads and "new tracks", but the cars are handling too smooth and are too easy to drive. For my taste it is a little bit too much of an arcade racer.
    And the pink rev counter drives me crazy too. lol! Anyway the colours are too much candy-coloured.
    to be honest I am dissatisfied with the collision model. You can drive into a 20 tons oncoming bus and it will be kicked back by your small Lancer.
    Can you imagine what will happen with all the crashkids in the multiplayer mode? I don't want to imagine...

I know, it is only a demo version, but my doubts are more than validated now.
    Maybe I'll buy the game later from the rummage table but not now for 70 €
    Mr Antt
    Mr Antt
    Admin

Post by Mr Antt Wed 10 Oct 2012, 11:44 pm

Oh dear, sounding bad then. I'll cast my judgement later Razz

Blue, I see what you mean about the damage. It's a shame it can't be more realistic, but as with every Forza, manufacturers aren't going to let them smash up their cars for the sake of a game Razz

Like I've said from the start, if I get this it'll be when it's at least half price, or if my brother decides to buy it instead.
    EighteeN O FivE
    EighteeN O FivE

Post by EighteeN O FivE Thu 11 Oct 2012, 8:57 am

Just had it confirmed by the games director that there's no right stick throttle / brake option in the game. This bums me out as I use the bumper buttons for gears & it's a pain with the triggers for throttle & brake!

Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 1:50 pm